Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Outdoor Classroom Part 2


Dinosaurs!

I do not know why, but dinosaurs have just never been my thing. I am guessing that it may have something to do with the fact that my mother never cared for them, and did not make them a part of my life as a child. That being said, I know that there are some preschoolers out there who LOVE dinosaurs. I have seen this often, and have really learned a lot about the creatures over the years through reading books to the children. Recently, I watched a show on the Discovery channel about discovering dinosaur bones, and I got an idea. We have an extra play area on the playground, now that our spring vegetable garden is gone. I decided that it would make a wonderful place for a "Dinosaur" garden. I covered the area in wood chips, placed some rounded edged stones around, consulted the exterminator about bugs, and planted some potted grasses. Finally, I pulled out that big ole' bag of dinosaurs that I had collected, but never taken out of the tub! So, here it is... our SDS dinosaur garden. I think that this will certainly be the hit of the playground for awhile. I have ideas to add a pond for the dinosaurs and maybe some other props too. Wouldn't it be cool if I could find some toy dinosaur bones...

Empty dinosaur garden.
I am going to be doing a lot of "research" between now and the first days of preschool to find out the names of these guys. I am really going to be missing Kyler, my dinosaur expert! Maybe he will stop by and give me a tutorial...
I am pretty sure that little grey one is an elephant, with tusks but I will make sure and get him in his right place!
So, if anyone needs me, I will have my nose in a dinosaur book for the next few days!

1 comment:

  1. Taft is very into dinosaurs! Thanks to Dino Dan on Nick Jr. Very cool idea!! I'm sure he will love it and it will be a huge hit! Your so creative!!

    ReplyDelete