Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A River Runs through our playground!

Mr. Nate has almost banned me from Marbles, the children's museum in Raleigh.  Each time that we go, I come back with some impossible idea.  Well, maybe not so impossible...  Last year I was fascinated by the "river" water feature that they have in their courtyard.  A stream of water flows down a hill with the invitation to float things down the just-right-height platform.  It is just a neat experience to watch children play, splash, learn, and discover in water.  When you add the extra dimension of moving water, it is even better.  Honestly, Mr. Nate was impressed too, so much so that he has been helping me figure out how to have one at school.  My jungle themed camp was the last straw, I just HAD to have one.  

I purchased this cattle feed trough at the feed store.   I knew that in order for the water to flow, there would have to be a pump.  I thought of using a pond pump, but they are not rated for swimming pools, then I tried it with just a garden hose.  It didn't force enough water to push the boats, and it was not environmentally sound to waste so much water.  That is when I thought of using a swimming pool pump.  After a trip to a Lowes pretty far away, finally, it was time to hook it all up.  You have never seen 2 adults scratch their heads like Nate and I have over this thing.  We have both been to college, studied physics, and other things that really should have helped us with this, but we struggled. We had eddies, we had whirlpools, we had too much friction, we had everything but a stream of waster.  We literally worked on it for 2 whole afternoons.  Finally, I said, "Are we going to let this thing beat us".... well you can probably guess the answer!  One manifold, 3 hoses, 2 destroyed plastic tubs, 3 bags of rock, a sump pump and a pool pump later, we got it!  

We now have a lovely stream that meanders through our playground.  It is the perfect height.  It provides endless opportunities for discovery and sensory play.  I was delighted to see the children enjoying it today. 

First they looked...

Then they put on their smocks and started "playing".  

 We sailed frogs on boats, 

practiced balancing our boats,

and experimented to see what happens when you put a lot of creatures on one boat.  

It even inspired a little singing...


It was a lot of work, but a dream come true for me.  So excited to make this a part of our outdoor classroom.  Also thankful for the process of creating it.  

1 comment: