Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Wonderful Winter Morning!

I must admit disappointment when I awoke this morning to NO SNOW...
I wanted it for myself, to run and play and build a snowman, but most of all for my kids.
They were SO excited and could even articulate that the weather man said, "He felt like it might snow". 
I chalked it up to a good lesson in meteorology, you just never can tell what the weather will do. 
Then we got in the truck to go to school and I noticed flurries!
They continued for the next hour, which allowed me to experience something that I have always wanted, 
snow at school!  Usually if there is snow, we stay at home- not this time!
So, I sat in my red rocking chair looking out the window, looking at the kids, and looking at the lesson plans.
It was time for literacy centers...
I suppose you can guess what happened next :)  

We bundled up and headed outside for a real education.
First on the agenda: catch a snowflake on your tongue.

Got it!



Then catch snowflakes on your clothes and hat!

All of a sudden, we made an amazing discovery.  Our fence was cold enough that the snowflakes were not melting when they landed there.  The black background allowed us to see the flakes so well.


These were the most amazing, magical snowflakes I have ever seen.  They were perfect, just like the ones we cut from paper a few weeks ago.  So perfect that I ran inside, grabbed a chair and some magnifying glasses so that everyone could have a look.

Then we had the idea to catch some on black paper and have an even closer look.

We were an outside classroom full of scientist making observations, discovering God's creation, talking about what we saw.

We brought the papers in and watched our snow melt.

Just like in our story, The Snowy Day, our snow did not last when we brought it inside.  
Doesn't matter though, we will remember it forever!



No comments:

Post a Comment