Monday, September 8, 2014

Setting Sail!

I remain convinced that long before pinterest, I had my own ideas!  Sometimes I think I have come up with a brilliant idea, only to discover that it has already been done.  Well, this one is all mine!  (Please no one find it on pinterest!)
Glyphs (been around forever, NOT my idea) are a fun way to get to know each other at the beginning of the school year.  A glyph (like hieroglyphics) is a  way to display data using pictures or symbols instead of words.  For preschoolers who are often shy and a little nervous about a new year, new friends, new teachers, words are not always easy to come by. As we set out on our journey in 4 year old preschool, we want to get to know each other and begin making bonds that will hold us together this school year.  The community that we wish to establish greatly depends on the first few precious days together.  

So we tell about ourselves using symbols.  This year we have a nautical theme for our classroom.  Since we are about to "Set Sail", I thought it important to identify our ship.

At open house the children worked together with their parents to make a flag that symbolized  themselves, their likes, and their families.
I made this key to show each family what they needed to add to their flag. 
(This is the part I thought up!) 

Each flag was so different!  Even the ones made by twins.  

It is neat to look at each flag and see the child's personality peek through.  
I said add stripes, but I didn't say which direction.  We said circles for girls, but didn't specify a color.  For this reason, each flag truly represents its own individual.  

They are a cheerful reminder of the many little personalities that we have in our classroom.  

I love that we ran out of stars because I "thought" I knew my kids.  I didn't count on the thinkers in the bunch who had big brothers and sisters that would most definitely need a big star too, or the pets that the children think of as siblings- they need stars as well.  "What about grandma?  She's in my family too?"  Okay, I'll cut more stars!

Our bunting sets the celebratory mood for the beginning of a big year for our little learners.  Big things are on the horizon for these sailors.  I can't wait to see what they accomplish in the coming months.  Until then, we will be busy getting to know one another and making waves at SDS!


No comments:

Post a Comment