Sunday, September 9, 2012

Rainbow Names

Last week we explored our names using torn paper. I wish I had captured the first part of this project, because it is probably the best part!  Each child received strips of paper and was given the job of tearing them into little bits.  We did this sitting around the carpet, and made sure to sort by color as we did the tearing.  When the bowls were filled, it was time to cover our names...
I was super impressed with how the kids managed their glue. They did an amazing job controlling the amount they placed on the paper.  I guess all that practice last year is paying off!

Letter by letter, we covered our names.  Some names are shorter and did not take as long to cover.  
This was a great discussion started for talking about longer and shorter, and more and less.  
The really neat part was that when the children with shorter names were finished, they immediately started helping their friends or cleaning up.

I love the community approach to preparing the materials,  I also love the hidden fine-motor workout in tearing the paper! All in all, a perfect math, literacy, art, and social skill lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment