Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Vet Hospital

On Monday we noticed a funny little game of puppy and kitty going on during center time. It involved lots of meowing and barking, along with some tricks.   On Tuesday, it wasn't so little anymore and it commanded our attention.  What I mean is that it was getting really loud and a little unorganized.  We had a decision to make.  Redirect or Embrace.  If you know me, then you already know my choice.  I looked at Mrs. Rae and said, "Let's learn about pets".  If you check our calendar, pets are not on the schedule, but they are now!  In fact, MY plans for the week were for us to discover more about life on the farm.  I have been feeling a  tug towards a more child directed learning path for our students and the door was flung wide open for me this week!

Almost immediately we began to transform our classroom.  Mrs. Rae started taking down the McDonalds and I headed out to the shed for the Veterinary Hospital tub. My next stop was the pet section of the bookshelf, and finally a trip to Wallace Animal Hospital.  Special thanks goes to Dr. Blanton and his staff for helping outfit our hospital.  The E-Collars provide us with real world practice for operating snaps.  The bandage materials got us using scissors, and the posters and brochures provided us with endless environmental print.  

Fast forward to today...  As soon as they entered the classroom this morning they noticed the Vet Hospital. They were so excited and eager to get started exploring the new area in our classroom.   
When centers finally arrived, the dramatic play area was buzzing with activity.  
We looked at xrays of a cat.

Then we began to care for the pets.
This sick kitty was cold and needed a blanket.  

A dish cloth was just right.


It turns out the kitty also needed a "medical alert".  
So, I grabbed some paper and pencils and we got started.  

The medical alert concept was very popular.  
It was fascinating to hear the ailments of all of the pets.  

Hopefully you can see that this dog had a "TME AK" (tummy ache).
Writing with preschoolers is the best.  They are so excited about their new-found abilities and they are not afraid to make mistakes.  

This poor alligator suffered from the affliction of being hot.  

This Dalmatian's "PW HRTS" (paw hurts).
Each pet wore their medical alert around their neck or tummy.  

5 patients in all were seen today at our hospital.  My guess is that that number will more than double tomorrow.  I heard lots of plans being made for bringing stuffed pets from home. 

How exciting to be part of such a wonderful learning experience, and what a privilege it is to teach these amazing kids.  And for the most part, I think they taught me today.

I learned that the plans are something, but they are not everything.  I learned that being receptive to their ideas makes for a highly engaged audience.  


No comments:

Post a Comment