Saturday, October 8, 2011

"C" is for Carrot

Last spring we planted carrots in our vegetable garden. I read that they would last through the fall and into winter, if left in the ground. I decided to give it a try. "C" week came around for our 3s, and I found the perfect opportunity to harvest our carrots.
I told them that they could pick carrots, and they looked at me like I was crazy! Sometimes it is easy to forget that they think carrots come from the grocery store. This is one reason why providing children with experiences like these is so important.

I showed them how to do it once, and they got the hang of it quite quickly!

Each time a carrot was pulled, they had the same look of wonder on their faces. I LOVE it!

Carrot picking started with a small group, and then caught on fast!


It was a great day in the garden for us!


My guess is that this real-life learning experience with the letter "C" will be very memorable!


We also had a little time to look at the different carrots and talk about their sizes and shapes, how dirty they were, and what we would need to do before we could eat them.


By the end of the morning, we had collected quite a lot of carrots!

This last picture is just Mrs. Georgia and Miss Ashley being proud
of our 3s and their awesome line!

No comments:

Post a Comment