Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pumpkin Faces


Each morning, around 7:00 am, my phone dings with an email. It perks me right up, because I know that there is a new, great idea waiting right over there for me! I subscribe to a blog by Deborah Stewart, a phenomenal preschool teacher and leader in the field. This morning I was not disappointed. Today's feature was on making play-doh faces for pumpkins. It was the best kind of idea because it could be done with things I already have at preschool. It does exactly what I want morning work to do, which is inspire creativity, encourage fine motor development, and provide opportunities for cooperation and conversation.

I put the tools out: scissors, popsicle sticks, and rollers.

I had worked with one of my "early birds" and showed her what to do. She was then tasked with sharing with her friends what to do.

Adding hair to the pumpkins was not on the list, but we went with it. They cut and styled the pumpkin hair and all the while had no idea that they were undergoing a vigorous small muscle workout!


We used our popsicle sticks to sculpt the pumpkin's hairdo


No two faces were the same!


We rolled the play-doh in our hand to make smiles.

We figured out that we could share a pumpkin. They didn't think too much of my taking the chairs away, but I thought it might facilitate the sharing process. Turns out, it worked!

Come back tomorrow for a post featuring a counting game the firefighter 4s in the Rainbow Room played together!


No comments:

Post a Comment